Monday 8 August 2011

An unexpected opportunity


I have just returned from holiday to the publication of my first book.

These words are what every author dreams of but publication has not come about in the way I imagined. 

My first book is not a novel as anyone following this blog might imagine, but a quiz book about my home town, produced solely for the growing market of readers who now have their information delivered directly to an eBook platform.

As a freelance I have worked on many different projects from editing a parenting magazine to ghostwriting for famous footballers. The varied nature of my work and the freedom that affords me is one of the things that I enjoy. I love learning about new things, meeting interesting people and finding out about their lives and when I was given the opportunity to compile a quiz eBook, I was more than ready for the challenge. 

I had to work to a tight deadline and for a while, putting the book together took over my life but I enjoyed every minute. Having studied history at university, I have always had an interest in the subject and discovering more about the area I grew up in was fascinating. At the beginning, I was worried that I wouldn’t have enough information but in the end I had far too much to include in one book and had to make tough decisions about what to leave out. 

I will never forget the buzz I felt some years ago when my first article appeared in print but nothing comes close to seeing your name on the cover of a book. I must confess that it does seem strange not to be able to hold my book in my hand, feel the pages and inhale the aroma of new print (yes, ok, I admit that this is a weird obsession of mine!).

I always imagined that my first book would be a hefty tome in both weight and content and I am still working on my novel although for me it is a painfully slow process, but in order to succeed as a writer, we have to seize opportunities whenever they present themselves.  

As the publication for the book was brought forward, I have been thrown headlong into the world of marketing and publicity and as with everything else, I am learning as I go along. By the time, I finally publish my novel I will be more than ready.

In the meantime, I am proud of this achievement and looking forward to my next challenge, whatever that may be…

The Southend-on-Sea Quiz Book is published by Apex Publishing and is available as an eBook on all major sites including a kindle edition from Amazon. For more information call Jackie Bright: 01255 428500 or e-mail: Jackie.Bright@apexpublishing.co.uk







5 comments:

  1. You go girl! Well done, Kim. The novel will be next! X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Paula. I hope so. Not so advanced on that one so you might just pip me to the post! Kx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on the publication! Any and all types of book are another big step along the writing career. Hope you make lots of sales.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A book is a book - well done :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations for the publication of your first book. Hopefully there'll be many more to follow.

    ReplyDelete