Wednesday 6 April 2011

Are you fit to write?


Writing is a solitary business; it is also a sedentary one.

This is why a little under a year ago, I realised that action needed to be taken. As a full time freelancer, my waistline was expanding as fast as the social events in my diary were shrinking.

Deciding to tackle both problems in one go, I joined an exercise class. Now, I admit that I am not best known for physical endeavours. It was difficult to start with and even more tough to keep going but it achieved at least one of my aims – I got out of the house and met some new people.

My waistline steadfastly remained the same, probably due to the numerous cups of tea and biscuits necessary to keep the creative process flowing throughout the day. Unfortunately, good ideas, in a literary sense, do not burn many calories!

I have always enjoyed swimming, so I started going to the local pool every weekend and two things happened that I really didn’t expect.

Firstly, I became hooked and couldn’t wait for my weekly workouts, challenging myself to swim further and at a faster time, to such an extent that I added one or two early morning midweek sessions to my exercise routine.

Secondly, my writing improved. As I became more physically fit, I also became more mentally alert.

And my time at the pool wasn’t wasted, as I would be thinking about what I was going to write and coming up with new ideas while I was swimming.

I must confess, that I gave up the exercise class and replaced it with less vigorous social arrangements like meeting friends for lunch (and the occasional glass of wine) with the odd writing workshop for good measure.

But I have continued swimming and I have also dusted off my bike and taken to the great outdoors.  And this does at least seem to have prevented any further excess baggage collecting around my middle.

And for those times when my brain needs a recharge, as well as my body, I have discovered yoga.

Fit body, fit mind. Fit to write.

5 comments:

  1. That's so true, Kim. I got through my divorce with swimming! hmm... think I might need to take a leaf out of your novel-in-the-making!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need some sort of impetus to get started - not on the book, but definitely on the exercise. Time, exhaustion and general-hatred-of-all-exercise prevents me, although I am considering the alternative: get a dog that I have to walk daily. Perhaps it will work?
    *reaches for a biscuit to think it over...*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, how I identify with your need for exercise! And you've just reminded me why swimming used to be my first choice - need to get back to it again. I started zumba and tap dancing before Christmas, but zumba has fallen by the way now. I'm trying to keep going to tap although it's been sporadic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm impressed. I loved swimming but full on exercise is difficult with ME/CFS as I could loose several days after being once, which also brings on a mental brain fog where it can be difficult to concentrate or get words out nevermind down on paper. But I know the feeling of the ever expanding waistband!! I'm looking forward to nice sunny weather where I can get in the garden and write with a clear head then :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi hope you don't mind but I tagged you in a Q and A session so take a look at my latest post. Hope the writing flowing well x

    ReplyDelete