Tuesday 29 March 2011

Starting over

Someone else has written my novel.

This is not the blog post I had planned to write but the discovery at the weekend that someone had beaten me into print with my fantastic idea, was such a shock that I am compelled to share this experience with you.

I am always interested in what is being published, both as a reader and writer. A couple of days ago, I accidentally hit on a recent new title and read the blurb with something akin to horror. The novel is virtually identical to the one I have been penning these last weeks and months.

I feel as if I already know the main protagonist in this new book as she is the twin of the main character in my own unfinished tome. Not only that; the themes, subsidiary characters and storyline appear to be almost identical.

How can this have happened? Did I accidentally leave the synopsis on the train, divulge the details of the plot at a writing group or maybe the author hacked into my computer?

The truth is that simply that the author got there before me. There is no copyright on ideas and someone else has had the same thought processes as myself. The fact that this other writer also believed that this book was worth writing, makes me feel that the premise was a good one. It has to be said that if I had got on and penned the book when I first had the idea, I might well have been the first one into print.

I should also mention that the aforementioned book has been self published and without reading it, I have no idea if it is any good. It was suggested by a friend that I should carry on with my original project and look for a mainstream publisher but, for me, the damage has been done. The book is no longer my own and I have to start over.

Frustrating and disappointing as this setback is, there are some positives. Over the past few months I have developed the habit of writing every day (well nearly every day) and my fledgling novel has grown. If I can do it once, I can do it again. The prospect is not quite as daunting as it once would have been.

So, my existing 35,000 words are being set aside for the time being and I am developing a new idea. I may retain one or two of the original elements but in essence, it will be a completely different book.

So what have I learnt from this experience?  

Simply to get on and do it – before someone else does!

8 comments:

  1. I think this is something that happens quite a lot. And I think your friend is right that you should carry on with yours as it would certainly be different to the other one.
    Having said that I understand just how you feel about it no longer feeling like your own.
    Hope you will still be able to use all those words!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe this Kim! Of all the rotten luck, my heart goes out to you, knowing how much of yourself you pour into a book. You seem so very calm; have you thrown anything?! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Paula. If I had a copy of the offending book, it would be through the window by now! Joking aside, it has been a wake up call to get going on the next one before someone beats me to it. Feel free to nag! Kx

    ReplyDelete
  4. How bloody annoying!!!
    I sometimes come up with a brilliant idea for a book and then realise that I've already read it ( Never Let Me Go should be mine......)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's the problem with great ideas - other people have them too!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How rotten for you!
    I've seen this happen with short stories and that's bad enough - but I can't imagine how it must feel when it happens with a novel. All that hard work! If it was me I would feel totally gutted.
    I agree with Teresa about carrying on with it. It would be such a shame to waste all that effort.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, that's an awful thing to happen, but you're not alone. It used to happen to my daughter even when she was just starting to write as a child. Now she's 30 and still writing but won't let me tell her of her any new novels that sound remotely like the one she's trying to finish (after winning an award for the first part), as she might not want to finish it.

    I definitely think you should carry on writing yours as it will probably turn out differently in the end anyway. But you've highlighted a great lesson I needed to learn many years ago - to get on with work and get it out there. I have a novel with an agent just now and I'm terrified someone else will beat me to it before it's ever published. I could tell you a really freaky story about another writing friend, but it would take too long!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Rosemary. It seems that this has happened to a lot of writers. I always try not to divulge any details of what I am working on but there is no way you can protect yourself from another writer having the same idea at the same time and pipping you to the post. The best of luck with your novel. I enjoyed reading about what everyone is up to at the Writers' Vineyard. Kim

    ReplyDelete