Monday 14 March 2011

Little Black Book

I am the proud owner of a little black book (LBB). In fact every writer, aspiring or otherwise, should have one. I actually own several such books and they are not all black. I have notebooks in all colours, shapes and sizes, some expensively bound, some cheap notebooks and a whole host of gimmicky ones that have caught my eye when on my travels.

My LBB  does not contain telephone numbers, nor does it dish the dirt on past acquaintances, but to me it contains far more important information - the contents of my mind. Wherever I go, I am never without a notebook and pen so that I can jot down ideas as they occur to me. If I don’t do this, that great new idea will fly out of my head as quickly as it landed there. I know this to be true because it has happened several times in the past. I will have an idea for a character or a twist in the plot but by the time I sit at my computer to write, it will have gone.

When ideas are flowing, I have whole scenes and lines of dialogue swirling around in my head and I have to get them out on paper – fast. Editing and polishing comes later but those initial words and phrases have to be caught and harnessed as they come tumbling out. If I am nowhere near my desk, I reach for my notebook and record my ideas, ready for when I have the opportunity to write them up.

I always have a notebook by my bed so that if something comes to me in the middle of the night, I can just write it down. Recent bouts of insomnia have led to some very creative output in my LBB.

A few years ago, I had a brief flirtation with a dictaphone and I would switch it on and voice record anything that occurred to me during the day. I can’t explain why but this just didn’t work for me and I didn’t get nearly as much satisfaction as I do from scribbling in a notebook. Maybe it has something to do with hand-eye co-ordination, I can’t say for sure, but I quickly went back to my beloved notebooks.

If ever I am stuck for something to write about, I can revisit past books and breathe new life into old ideas but more importantly to me, the notebooks are a record of my literary journey and a reminder of how far I have come (and how far I still have to go!).

Consequently, I now have a large collection of notebooks. Some are full, others contain just a few scribbled notes, but I would never part with any of them.

In common with all writers, I need very few essential things in order to continue with my craft; a computer, a quiet space and time to write just about cover the basics but, for me, the most essential piece of kit will always be my little black book.  

7 comments:

  1. I love all kinds of notebooks, too, and always have one with me. As well as a drawer full of pretty ones people have given me that I've still to use!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,I also have a secret desire to be a novelist and decided to keep a blog charting my progress (It seemed like a good idea at the time but now my Dad keeps hounding me for updates!). I have now discovered what a professional procastinator I am. I too love notebooks and usually buy brightly coloured ones. Looking forward to reading about your progress.My writing blog is www.doingthewritethingnow.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi from down under, where LBBs of any colour are also a necessity. Though in general I must admit to not keeping mine. Having spent a lot of years travelling, I can't get out of the habit of constantly chucking things out. I regularly go through my LBBs and move my scribblings into various files and folders on my beloved laptop. But wherever the ideas, names, or snatches of dialogue end up they are priceless when you're writing.

    I've been editing my second novel, which is set in London, and the notes from my last trip there a couple of years ago are a huge help. Through the descriptions of people and places, bits of dialogue etc memories of days or events come back to me. Long live the LLB.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohh.... You made me miss my notebooks so much. I can't keep track of them these days-- too hectic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all your comments. I am glad to see that other people share my passion for the humble notebook.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My problem is I write my thoughts in different books and then I can never find them when I'm looking for them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too am the proud owner of many a notebook with all kinds of manic things written in them that really only make sense to me! Would love to stop talking about it and actually start writing something! Look forward to following your progress.

    ReplyDelete